There are some people who have not heard about the legend of the Great Wall of China. Building structures made by human hands are the longest in the world has become a symbol of China for several centuries, but still there are some things you may not know. To expand your knowledge in this unique place, look to 10 surprising facts about the Great Wall of China that you may not know.
- People usually think that the length of the great wall of china, which is about 3900 miles (6276.442 km) but the fact is, the overall length is 5500 miles (8851.392 km). The 3900 miles is a long wall, but you must add the length of the trench and a barrier which is also part of the complexity of the wall.
- The construction works of the great wall of china take up to 2000 years. The first part of the wall has been built since the 8th century BC.
- The myth says that the cement mixture used to unify a building material made of human bones, but that’s not true. The building material is composed of a variety of objects that are available on that day, ranging from the compacted soil, stone, wood brick and clay.
- When some part of the wall is well cared for and renovated, mostly abandoned. In 1970, even the parts of the wall look porous because people took a stone and brick as a material to build their houses.
- There is a popular myth that the Great Wall of China visible from the moon. Because it might just be like a strand of human hair from a distance of about 2 miles, this myth is not true.
- This wall has also been the land for several sports competitions. In 1987, for example, a British citizen, William Lindsay, ran alone for more than 1500 miles on the wall.
- The highest peak of the great wall of china is on the mountain Heita, close to Beijing. (More than 5000 feet above sea level).
- This wall is also known as “the world’s longest cement building” and, allegedly, hundreds of thousands of people die from during construction. Some of them even buried in the foundations of the wall.
- Some tourism service providers, also provides service tour of the night when a wall decorated with rows of lights, makes this wall look very unique and very beautiful to look at.
- Because of its large size once, this wall is very difficult to care. Now, there are two major organizations that take care of it. The China Great Wall Society and the International Friends of the Great Wall.